top of page

Accountants for Sole Traders & Self Employed

Individual accounting that works for you.

What is a sole trader/self-employed?

You’re self-employed if you run your own business, hire people, provide the equipment you need to work, charge for your services and sell goods or services for profit. A sole trader or self-employed person is not a limited company. If you’re unsure or need further information, please consult the HMRC website.

What records do you need to keep?

When you are self-employed, you are responsible for notifying HMRC of your earnings and paying all appropriate taxes. In order to do this correctly, you must keep records of:

  • Your invoices.

  • Your expenses.

  • Your profit.

You must fill out regular tax returns – or have your accountant file it for you.

What can you claim as expenses?

There are many costs associated with running your own business. If you have purchased certain items or services in conjunction with the day to day running of your business, you will be able to offset these against your turnover – meaning you do not have to pay tax on that amount. (i.e If you have spent £10,000 on expenses, and your turnover is £50,000 – you will only pay tax on £40,000).

Expenses include:

  • Travel costs such as parking, public transport fares and fuel.

  • Accountancy fees.

  • Office equipment such as stationary and business phone costs.

  • Protective or branded clothing.

  • Staff and financial costs.

  • Advertising costs.

  • Business rates and utilities.

Plus other specific expenditures.

Why choose Add-Worth Accountancy for your sole trader or self employed accounting?

At Add-Worth Accountancy, we can take away the headache of being self-employed. We make your tax returns, simple. We keep on top of your accounts and give you complete peace of mind.

Don’t panic about expenses, tax returns and keeping receipts: From £200 + VAT per year – we’ll keep on top of your tax return for you.

Are you ready to get started?

Click below, tell us about your business and we’ll be in touch to give you expert accounting advice.

bottom of page